Members of the Council include companies that operate in:
- bauxite mining
- alumina refining
- aluminium metal production; and
- semi-fabricated aluminium production and distribution.
- increase understanding of the aluminium industry in Australia and internationally
- encourage the growth of the aluminium industry in Australia and in the use of aluminium in Australia and overseas
- act as a focal point for the industry on key national issues such as climate change, trade, health and the environment; and
- inform and assist all those with an interest or involvement with the industry.
The Council notes that the Australian aluminium industry has been in operation for over 50 years, and has been a significant contributor to the economy throughout this time.
Currently, the industry consists of:
- five bauxite mines
- seven alumina refineries
- six aluminium smelters
- 12 extrusion mills (19 presses); and
- two rolled product plants.
Combined, the Australian aluminium industry employed around 16,700 employees in 2010, 13,800 of whom were directly employed, with around 2,900 acting as contractors.