Petrifilm plates are referred to in many laboratories as the Post-it Notes of the microbiology field. Petrifilm plates are playing-card size, sample-ready plates that enable food processors to easily and efficiently perform on-site microbial testing. Petrifilm plates are available from Arrow Scientific .
The Petrifilm plates may be used to test raw materials and the plant environment as well as finished products. In addition, food processors may use the Petrifilm plates to verify their Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) programmes. Because Petrifilm plates streamline the testing process, many food and beverage companies are able to reinvest the labour hours they save and increase productivity in other areas such as quality assurance. Most Petrifilm plates are recognised as AOAC Official Methods.
All Petrifilm plates are manufactured using ISO 9000 certified operations and strict quality control procedures to reduce media variations. A built-in grid facilitates counting.
Following are the benefits of Petrifilm plates:
- Petrifilm can be used for HACCP testing of products or for environmental monitoring
- Petrifilm come with QA certificates
- Petrifilm have extended shelf life compared to prepared media
- Petrifilm takes up little storage or disposal space
- Petrifilm are marked with grids for easier counting