NATIONAL Semiconductor Corporation, represented in Australia by Arrow Electronics Pty Ltd , has launched the industry’s first SOT-23 synchronous buck switching controller, the LM1770.
This efficient controller uses constant on-time control, making it easy to employ because it does not require external compensation.
The LM1770, packaged in the tiny SOT23-5, provides low-voltage point-of-load regulation from standard 5V and 3.3V rails in space-constrained applications such as set-top boxes, cable modems, digital video recorders and printers.
This versatile solution also replaces switching regulators and LDOs in enterprise server and point-of-sale applications where efficiency is crucial.
Features of the LM1770 include:
* Constant on-time control - Easy-to-use topology that requires no external compensation
* Synchronous operation - High-side PFET and low-side NFET enable higher efficiency, resulting in reduced power dissipation
* Fast transient response - Allows for fewer or smaller filter capacitors
* Input voltage range of 2.8V to 5.5V - Ideal for point-of-load regulation from a 3.3V or 5V rail
* Output voltage as low as 0.8V - Supports applications requiring less than 1V power rails
* Internal soft-start - Limits in-rush current and allows for a controlled start-up
* Short circuit protection - Prevents damage to the application
* Three on-time options - Allows for selection of operating frequency range
* Small SOT23-5 package - Ideal for space-constrained applications.