KBS is a specialist in passive fireproofing solutions, manufacturing a full range of highly effective, quality assured fire protection products for applications in mining, minerals processing, heavy industry as well as construction and infrastructure industries.
KBS recently conducted various tests to solve a specific problem for an Oil and Gas industry client in the UK.
The test was performed in accordance with British Standard 476 and carried out at BRE Laboratories, Garston, United Kingdom in August 2010.
The client needed a KBS solution for a penetration seal in a floor that was accessible only from below the ceiling.
A further condition was that the solution required a ‘hydrocarbon fire resistance test according to BS 476: part 20 :1987’, based on fulfilling the requirements of Department of Energy Test Specification- Issue 1: Jan. 1990, FRS 14-84, which in real terms is the application of the Hydrocarbon Curve during the fire test.
In contrast to the usual BS 476 classifications and ratings, FRS 14-84 results are coded differently:
- H 120 is attributed when insulation and integrity are given over a period of 120 minutes
- H 60 is attributed when insulation is given over a period of 60 minutes and integrity over 120 minutes
- H 0 is attributed when insulation is < 60 minutes and integrity is given over 120 minutes
Short Description of Test Set-up and Results
KBS Panel Seal ABL
- 2 x 60mm mineral fibre boards coated on their outer faces, cables coated 300mm on both sides (max. cable diameter 70mm)
- KBS FR caulking used as a gap filler, steel pipes of 33mm and 114mm outer diameter insulated both sides on 500mm length
- Result: 120 minutes F and T rating; Classification H 120
KBS Panel Seal ABL installed from underneath
- 2 x 60mm mineral fibre boards coated on their outer faces, cables coated 500mm below the floor only (max. cable diameter 70mm)
- KBS FR caulking used as a gap filler, steel pipes of 33mm and 114mm outer diameter insulated below the floor only on 500mm length
- Result: F-rating 120 minutes, T-rating 42 minutes for the 114mm steel pipe, 119 minutes for the telephone cables, 120 minutes for all other items; Classification H 0
Seals in Small Openings Made from Loose Mineral Fibre and KBS FR Caulking
- Single cable of 70mm diameter: Classification H 60
- Cable bundle of standard energy cables: Classification H 120
- Non-insulated steel pipe diameter 114mm: Classification H 0
Although based on European approvals, the test results are a good indication of the scope of application for the KBS fireproofing products range.
The full range of KBS fireproofing solutions is available from Antec Engineering .