AMCOR’S Board announces today that it has appointed Ken MacKenzie as its new Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, effective from July 1, 2005, at which time Chris Roberts will revert to the position of non-executive Chairman.
MacKenzie, a 41 year old Canadian national, has had 13 years experience with Amcor working in all the major operating divisions including PET, flexibles, tobacco packaging and closures.
He has managed businesses across the Americas, Europe, Australasia and Asia and has lived in North America, Australia and Europe.
He is currently the Group Managing Director of the Amcor Rentsch and Closures business, based in Switzerland.
Chris Roberts, Amcor’s Executive Chairman, said: “Ken MacKenzie is a world class executive who fulfils all the key criteria the Board had established.
He has had experience across all our major business segments and understands the packaging industry intimately.
He has had management experience in Europe, Australasia, the Americas and Asia and has an excellent track record in improving earnings and returns in these businesses.
“The selection of the new Managing Director involved a global search and the Amcor Board was pleased with the quality of the external candidates, however it transpired that they could not match Ken MacKenzie as the internal benchmark.”
Amcor’s Managing Director elect, Ken MacKenzie, said: “I am extremely enthusiastic about the opportunity to lead Amcor in this next stage of its development.
“Over the past five years, Amcor has divested its non-core paper based activities and acquired substantial global positions in its chosen market segments.
“With this platform established, it is now appropriate to move from the previous stage of acquisitions and integration to focus on the execution of the key fundamentals that drive excellence in the packaging industry.
“I look forward to working with my fellow Amcor colleagues to create an organisation that is a global packaging leader in terms of product innovation and commercial and operational excellence, that will deliver continuous improvement in earnings and returns for our shareholders.”
Chris Roberts, Amcor’s Executive Chairman, said: “The Board has every confidence that Ken Mackenzie will be an excellent Managing Director through the next stage of the company’s development.”
Ken MacKenzie, who is multilingual and currently living in Zurich, Switzerland, will be relocating to Melbourne with his wife and family over the coming months.
Background Information on Ken MacKenzie’s career
· 2001 to present: Amcor Rentsch and Closures, Group Managing Director Location: Europe 2004; sales A$1 billion 2004 EBIT A$ 100 million Eight tobacco packaging plants and twelve closures plants located throughout Europe, Asia and the Americas.
· 1999 to 2001: Amcor Flexibles Australasia, Group General Manager Location: Australia Eight plants in Australia and New Zealand with sales of over A$300 million.
· 1997 to 1999: Amcor Containers Packaging Australasia General Manager, Corporate Sales and Marketing Location: Australia
· 1995 to 1997: Amcor PET Packaging Director, Finance and Administration Location: North America
· 1992 to 1995: Amcor PET Packaging Director, Engineering and Information Technology Location: North America
· 1987 to 1992: Accenture Management Consultant Location: North America Personal Details Born: Montreal, Canada
· 1964: Married, with two teenage children. Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) McGill University, Montreal Interests: Skiing, yachting (Canadian Laser Gold Medallist 1985) Amcor Limited
To receive Packaging magazine click here: subscribe