Gas Alarm Systems, a division of Alvi Technologies presents the SPC-D3-1184 standalone SF6 gas controller designed for monitoring and leak detection of sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) in electrical sub-stations.
Sulphur hexafluoride or SF6 is widely used by electrical power utility companies to insulate switchgears and transformers. However, SF6 comes with several risk factors that can impact the safety of workers, equipment and the environment.
Accidental SF6 leaks may reduce oxygen concentration to unsafe levels as SF6 is an asphyxiant, resulting in OH&S issues. Additionally, there is a high risk of short circuit or overload fires in electrical transformers/ sub-stations. Thermal decomposition of SF6 due to fire produces highly toxic HF and SO2.
An SF6 leak can also have significant impact on the environment. For instance, a 0.5kg leak of SF6 into the atmosphere has the same impact as 11 tons of CO2. SF6 leaks can also lead to asset loss or network shutdown.
The SPC-D3-1184 standalone SF6 gas controller from Gas Alarm Systems is designed as a complete solution to continuously monitor and detect any leakage of sulphur hexafluoride.
Key features of SPC-D3-1184 standalone SF6 gas controllers:
- Utilises Dual Bean Infra-Red Sensing technology to detect and continuously monitor any leakage of SF6 in the range of 0-1000 ppm
- Dual Beam Infra-Red sensor has no cross sensitivity to any other gas and is maintenance-free with 10 years+ life
- LCD display and alarm LEDs
- Relays for actuating external audio-visual alarms
- Auto-diagnostic watchdog with fault LED
- Power On LED, buzzer
- Analogue output for PLC or SCADA system
- External oxygen sensor/transmitter can be added to monitor oxygen depletion
- Meets EPA Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Management Regulation including OH&S Act