Sealevel, represented in Australia by Allied Data Systems , has released the 7205e low profile PCI Express serial interface that provides two serial ports configurable for RS-232, RS-422 or RS-485.
Each serial port utilises a 16C950 UART with 128-byte Tx/Rx FIFOs, which enables data rates up to 921.6Kbps for reliable high-speed communications in data intensive applications.
This high-performance UART includes 9-bit framing support and is fully software compatible with legacy 16550 applications.
In addition, the 14.7456 oscillator and UART's flexible clock prescaler supports the widest range of standard and non-standard baud rates.
In RS-485 mode, the transmitter is automatically enabled in the hardware, eliminating the need for application software control.
This allows the 7205e low profile PCI Express serial interface to be used with standard serial communications applications and removes the risk of bus contention and data corruption.
In RS-232 mode, all modem control signals are implemented for maximum compatibility with a wide range of serial peripherals.
The Sealevel SeaCOM software driver and utilities make installation and operation easy using Windows 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Vista and Linux operating systems.
Key features of low profile PCI Express serial interface include:
- Each port is individually configurable for RS-232, RS-422, or RS-485
- 16C950 buffered UARTs with 128-byte FIFOs
- Each port supports data rates to 921.6Kbps
- Oscillator and clock prescaler support a wide range of baud rates
- Supports 9-bit protocol framing
- PCI Express X1 compliant
- Compatible with all low profile PCI Express slots
- All modem control signals implemented in RS-232 mode
- 36 cable terminates to two DB-9M connectors.