Using an effective, continuous method for cleaning conveyor belts to prevent material build-up can help extend the life and productivity of the entire belt system. By preventing material build-up, belt scrapers help keep the belt from drifting off track, prevent erratic loads on the motor, eliminate uneven wear on pulley bearings and damage to return idlers, and minimise belt stretching.
Air Springs Supply National Sales and Marketing Manager, Mr James Maslin explains that the correct material and style of actuation are important factors in belt scraper performance. Air Springs supplies pneumatic actuators and isolators for equipment such as belt scrapers and other vital conveyor ancillaries.
While in some instances metal springs, flexible blocks or torsion bars will satisfactorily position the scraper adjacent to the belt surface, other applications increasingly require more sophisticated, flexible and continuously supple arrangements, which can be provided by flexible pneumatic actuators, such as Airstroke air spring actuators from Firestone.
Airstroke air spring actuators are tough rubber-and-fabric bellows (identical in construction to the airbags used in the latest truck and train suspensions) that exert varying amounts of force against a surface in continuous proportion to the amount of air pressure contained within them, enabling them to adjust to different load requirements.
Air springs are being increasingly adopted by Australian manufacturers and processors for uses as diverse as fine food and pharmaceutical production, through to mineral processing and bulk material handling. Applications include conveyor direction gate actuation, lift sections and bumper stops, through to stamping presses, gluing presses and flexible counter-pressure cushions for automotive body component presses.
Key advantages of air springs:
- Provides force evenly over the surface upon which they are acting
- Will undulate over irregular loads passing beneath, flexing with the load profile if necessary
- Ability to rotate through an angle without a clevis
- Easy to install in compact spaces
- Ability to bend with load and tolerate high side loadings ensures performance
- No internal moving parts to break or wear
- Proven performance in diverse materials handling applications
- Available in force capacities from a few dozen kilograms up to 40,000kg a unit