Scissor lifts and tilt tables make several assembly, construction, fabrication, manufacturing, materials handling and maintenance tasks easier and safer.
The equipment is particularly useful when users need to lift and work at different heights and angles with heavy materials in environments such as building maintenance and fabrication, distribution and warehousing, industry and construction as well as process and materials handling applications.
Pneumatically actuated scissor lifts and tilt tables offer reliable and safe performance. In the event that the power supply is terminated or the system falters, the actuator will still compress gently with the air (or water) inside offering resistance.
Scissor lifts and tilt tables actuated by Air Springs’ Airstroke actuators also eliminate one of the weakest links in pneumatic actuation: the seals in traditional cylinders used to actuate the equipment involved.
Pneumatic actuation and isolation specialist Simon Agar says that this specific advantage is especially critical in aggressive atmospheres heavy with dust and waste where such cylinders can clog up and wear prematurely over the millions of cycles for which they must operate.
Mr Agar, General Manager of Air Springs Supply Pty Ltd has more than 20 years of experience with Firestone air spring actuators known as Airstrokes.
Basically, Airstrokes air spring actuators are heavy-duty balloons and available in a variety of styles, though the fundamental design remains the same.
Key features of Airstrokes air spring actuators:
- Flexible-wall, bellows-type air cylinders ideally suited for engineering of assemblies for high-repetition, high reliability tasks, inflating and deflating to achieve the objective
- Unlike traditional cylinder designs, air spring actuators contain their column of air in a fabric-reinforced rubber envelope or bellows
- Ends are sealed by bead plates, which are crimped around the bead of the bellows
- Bead plates contain the attachment hardware for the part, normally a blind tapped hole called a blind nut
- An air fitting, generally in one bead plate allows fluid or air to be introduced into the chamber
- The fabric in the side wall of the bellows restricts radial expansion, building up pressure and causing axial extension to provide the scissor lift or tilt function
- Side load flexibility and simplified attachment also offered
- Bellows follow the path of least resistance eliminating any worry about side loads caused by misalignment
- Broad range of air springs available
- Actuators give 40-40,000kg of pushing or lifting power and power strokes of up to 350mm
- Actuated by standard factory, workshop or warehouse compressed air systems or basic compressor equipment