Many chemicals in common use have been identified as extremely hazardous, and represent serious health risks to personnel in the plants where they are manufactured, processed, stored or transported. Since these chemicals are governed by clearly defined exposure limits, an accurate measurement method serves as an early warning device to the worker when exposed to excessive levels.
Vinyl chloride, ethylene oxide, styrene, polyols, acrylates and solvents, together with a host of other VOCs and non VOCs such as H2S are some of the chemicals in industrial use, with many of them produced as intermediate products during the manufacture of other chemicals.
Not all compounds represent the same health hazards, therefore the maximum exposure levels might be set at anything from a few hundred parts per million (ppm) to under 10 parts per billion (ppb) depending on the particular chemical. The more dangerous these chemicals are, the smaller are the concentrations permitted for exposure.
Legislation demands the effective monitoring of these compounds in the industrial environment to provide early warnings on any leaks or chemical build-up to protect personnel at the plant as well as prevent leakage that could harm the environment and the wider population.
Personal PID Monitoring
Personal PID monitors are ideal for monitoring the breathing space of individual employees to measure the levels of potentially harmful compounds that they are exposed to over the course of the day.
The innovative new Cub personal photoionisation detection monitors from Ion Science give early warning of any harmful levels of exposure to hazardous compounds, protecting plant personnel against potential harm. Cub incorporates the same PID technology employed on the leading Ion Science fixed and handheld VOC detectors.
Ion Science detectors have been independently verified as one of the best performing PID technologies available today, offering fast, accurate and consistent results with market leading sensitivities down to 1 ppb.
Key features of Cub personal PID monitors:
- High output 10.6 eV lamp provides continuous monitoring and alarms for VOCs with ppb sensitivity
- Provides accurate monitoring of the full range of volatile VOCs
- 10.0 eV lamp also available for monitoring Total Aromatic Compounds (TACs) including benzene
- Small, compact and lightweight design
- Comfortable and unobtrusive to wear
- Sensitive to more than 480 gaseous compounds with a range from 1 ppb to 5,000 ppm
- Unique IonPID sensor incorporates both anti-contamination and Fence Electrode Technology for extended operation in harsh environments