The booming Australian mining industry demands maximum equipment uptime. Massively capital-intensive, mining business performance is tied to the availability, maintenance, financing and deployment of assets. Every moment without the right equipment or transportation can severely impact productivity and profitability for miners.
But some workpieces are simply too heavy to be transported to the workshop or even too large to be machined on a conventional CNC machine. Consequently, the machine has to be transported to the workpiece, which is a very common scenario in industries working with large machinery, such as the mining or oil & gas industries.
For maintenance and repair of equipment, which cannot be moved to the workshop, Advanced Robotic Technology (ART) now offers a portable, multi-function CNC machining system, providing a broad range of machining functions onsite.
Portable CNC plasma cutters
ART offers the Metaltek modular multi-function CNC machining system designed for portability and able to provide a broad range of machining functions in the field or workshop. Processes such as face milling, drilling, pocketing, bevelling, thread milling, tapping, plasma and oxy profiling as well as surface mapping (probing) and reverse engineering through digitising are all available with this product range.
One of the Metaltek developments is a portable 5-axis CNC weld preparation machine designed to process both curved and flat surfaces. The latest advancements in portable CNC plasma profile cutting gives customers faster feeds, higher acceleration and advanced motion control algorithms.
According to ART Director David White, plasma technology is ideal for all grades of pressure vessels, boiler plates or tubes, which can be cut and edge prepared, ready to be welded. Best known for its simplicity, ability to cut virtually any metal and productivity, the plasma cutting process has become a universally accepted metal cutting process with a range of capabilities and applications.
The new Metaltek range of portable CNC machines is built to high plasma technology standards.
To meet the soaring demand for commodities from resource-hungry economies such as Indonesia, China and India, the machines need to be working 24/7 to keep up with demand. ART’s portable profile cutters can be very valuable for the mining industry, enabling significant improvements in equipment uptime, which means greater return on capital investment translating to millions of dollars a day increase in production.
Key features of Metaltek portable 5-axis CNC weld preparation machines:
- Integrated 5-axis 3D touch control
- 5-axis technology enables weld preparation, allowing bevel/contour cuts up to ±45º in a single pass
- Drastically reduces time-intensive after-work operations
- Precise 5-axis motion control enables hole cutting and weld preparation on curved or flat surfaces
- Accurate pierce height and cut height for high-quality cutting and long consumable life
- Automatic surface tracking with ART 3D motion controller
- High-torque servo drives
- Active dry fume extraction and filtration
- Intelligent torch height control
- Monocoque chassis design
- Auto sensing drill tools and rigid tapping
- ProfileShop V3 touchscreen controller automates all cutting settings, resulting in optimum cut quality
- Optional pendant hand controller gives access to most functions when the operator is away from the main controller