An NT-based manufacturer of heating and air conditioning systems has invested in a SMART CNC router from Advanced Robotic Technology to boost productivity by automating the cutting of duct board and fibreglass at their facility.
Veetemp company director Stephen Howe realised the potential of an automated duct board and fibreglass cutting process and decided to invest in an ART XR4800d SMART router.
Launched in 2010 by Australia’s premier manufacturer of CNC routers and plasma cutters, Advanced Robotic Technology (ART), the SMART router series XR4800d is designed to suit all applications within the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC&R) industry.
The SMART router is a pioneering effort in the development of an automated system dedicated to manufacturing duct board, fibreglass and other insulation material used in the HVAC&R industry.
By adding the fourth axis, ART has created an all-rounder for more cost-effective applications in the air conditioning, heating, sign writing, ventilation and ducting industries, as well as many other manufacturing fields.
The fourth axis transforms a previously messy job into a clean, automated process. Special tools designed for duct board cutting include:
- Variable angled knives
- Steered reciprocating knives for duct board and fibreglass insulation
- Steered pizza cutter wheels for creasing and cutting a variety of insulation materials
Mr Howe’s decision to automate their duct board and fibreglass insulation cutting process was motivated by a desire to be more competitive in the industry by increasing productivity.
Key features of ART XR4800d SMART routers:
- Gantry-mounted covered automated toolchanger turns creasing, variable-angle cutting, V-grooving and routing of insulated duct board into a fully automated process
- Eliminates mistakes and second cuts as well as marking out by hand
- Simplifies complicated angle cutting
- Complete dust removal for V-grooving and complete panels ready for joining done in one process
- Cuts most materials including insulated duct board, plastic, wood, aluminium, foam, fabric, rubber, timber as well as fibreglass and polyester insulation
- Comes with a process area of 4000mm x 1600mm, perfectly sized for standard insulated duct board measuring 4000mm x 1200mm
Veetemp’s Stephen Howe believes that his investment will pay off in less than two years simply by maintaining their normal profit level on ductwork.
Mr Howe concludes by saying that the machine does the job of three workers saving the facility significant labour costs.