An Australian company has specifically adapted a failsafe communications system for flood prone areas affecting industries such as mines, quarries, forestry and logging, agricultural and construction.
The Adtec linked emergency response telephone system (ALERTS) from Adtec Communications requires just one phone call to connect a flood crisis team automatically, regardless of where they are.
The Adtec linked emergency response telephone system has been specially designed to provide fast, easy and reliable team communications and is tailored to suit the specific needs of any flood rescue operation.
All first responders have to remember is a simple digit PIN. The ALERTS smart design allows for simple, everyday use combined with a set of powerful administration tools.
Once initiated, the ALERTS dials the team phone numbers stored in the system. When answered correctly, it automatically puts individual team members into a conference call or sends them a voice pager message.
If no PINS are entered or the call is not answered, the ALERTS will automatically dial the next number for that member of the team and extra participants can be brought into the conference as needed.
A prime example is during a flood warning. The duty officer of a water authority receives word that a major water main has burst with the potential to cause serious flooding in a high-density residential area.
With just one phone call, the ALERTS automatically contacts all the members of an interagency emergency team and puts it immediately into a conference call. Within minutes, all the relevant players are online, making the decisions required to get the situation under control.
Once the initial rescue decisions have been made, a secondary voice message is relayed to all the members of secondary team to inform them of the likely chain of events and to prepare appropriately. Any other relevant contact such as the chief environmental officer, the company’s PR representative, and all relevant media can also be informed.
The ALERTS has been specially designed for any emergency situation that needs to connect people and that requires the mobilisation of a response team. This includes emergency services alerting, trauma team, notification, events management, project management, disaster recovery, public transport, news coverage and airlines.
Features of the ALERTS include:
- Activation by calling telephone number and entering PIN
- Simple voice prompts for initiators and participants
- Multiple contact numbers possible for each participant
- Calls programmable for emergency conference or broadcast message
- Easy changes to team members by administration personnel
- Multiple conferences can be held simultaneously
- Local or remote control by software operator
- Interfaces to radio paging systems
- Recording of all voice traffic on system
- Interactive voice response menu for different actions
- Team rostering so members can make themselves unavailable
- Logging of all system activity
- System memory retained in the event of a power failure
- ALERTS can be expanded easily by addition of the line cards
- ALERTS can also be used to handle standard conference calls