According to Adaptalift Hyster , a forklift operator received fatal injuries when the forklift he was operating overturned on a ramp he was descending. The operator was found hours later trapped between the frame of the forklift and the ground when it overturned while exiting the building onto a roadway.
The subsequent investigation found:
- The operator did not have a forklift licence and was not authorised to use the vehicle.
- The forklift was being used without the employer’s knowledge.
- The forklift was being used on a gradient, not in its intended area, but elsewhere.
- The forklift was in an inoperable condition.
- The load was over the safe working limit.
Adaptalift Hyster offer the ForkTrack forklift safety device. If this workplace safety was installed:
- The warning buzzer would have warned the operator of selected unsafe event, such as load weight.
- Zoned speed control would not have allowed the operator to use the vehicle outside designated areas.
- Unauthorised operators would be locked out of the forklifts. It tracks all licensed operators
- Speed can be controlled at all times.
- Operators would have had a clear picture of the vehicles engine performance.
- Online reporting would have alerted both the company and AAL staff to the impact, dispatching help upon receiving the alert.