McCrometer’s V-Cone flow meters, available from AMS Instrumentation and Calibration feature a space-saving design that reduces both installation and operational costs while improving oil production efficiency in WAG injection systems.
Water-Alternating-Gas (WAG) injection system is an enhanced oil recovery (EOR) technique that helps recover oil in a mature reservoir, which has been in production for many years. This technique makes it possible to recover significantly more oil by alternately injecting CO2 gas and water, wherein the CO2 gas helps mobilise the remaining oil while the water displaces the remaining oil and gas.
Ideal for upstream production at mature well sites, McCrometer’s V-Cone flowmeters are installed as a master meter at the CO2 source in a typical WAG system with stainless steel piping split run to as many as 16 injection wells.
The V-Cone master meter maintains excellent accuracy when the volumes of the 16 pipe runs are added together. No maintenance is required for the meter except for a simple calibration check of the transmitter.
Engineers in the oil and gas industry rely on the V-Cone flow meters to maintain accuracy in tough applications.
The pressure difference exhibited between the static line pressure and the low pressure created downstream of the cone is measured via two pressure sensing taps, one placed slightly upstream of the cone and the other located in the downstream face of the cone itself.
The pressure difference is then incorporated into a derivation of the Bernoulli equation to determine the fluid flow rate.
Key features of McCrometer’s V-Cone flow meters:
- Low maintenance, no-moving-parts design proven to remain accurate for 25+ years
- Eliminates the need to shut down production for calibrations, inspections or regular primary element replacement
- Saves money by increasing production up-time and in parts and labour
- Advanced differential pressure (DP) technology nearly eliminates the up- and downstream straight pipe runs required by other DP instruments
- Reduces typical straight run by 70% or more compared to traditional flow measurement technologies, requiring only 0-3 straight pipe diameters upstream and 0-1 downstream for precise operation
- Stainless steel piping requirement for WAG CO2 gas makes the shorter pipe runs in the V-Cone meter even more economical versus orifice and other types of meters
- Significantly lowers installation costs in terms of expensive stainless steel piping and CO2 pump room size
- Built-in flow conditioning function in its sensor design increases inherent accuracy over traditional DP instruments
- Centrally located cone interacts with the fluid steam, reshaping the velocity profile to provide a stable signal and higher measurement accuracy
- Available in line sizes from 0.5 to greater than 120 inches in materials and with flanges compatible with any application
- Operates over a wide flow range of 10:1, is accurate to ± 0.5% and offers repeatability to ± 0.1%
- Standard beta ratios of 0.45 to 0.85 with custom betas available
- Made from rugged Duplex 2205, 304 or 316 stainless steel, Hastelloy C-276, 254, SMO and carbon steels