Greenhouse gas flow meters from Fluid Components International (FCI) offer industrial plant engineers a highly reliable solution to GHG monitoring and support the EPA’s BACT initiative.
As part of the BACT (Best Available Control Technology) initiative, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently called upon 13 states to update their Clean Air Implementation Act Plans in support of its greenhouse gas (GHG) objectives.
The 13 states include Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Texas and Wyoming.
Flow meters such as FCI’s ST51 support accurate GHG monitoring by providing valuable clean air data necessary for industrial process control.
From January 2011, industries that are large emitters of GHGs and are planning to build new facilities or make major modifications to existing ones will work with permitting authorities to identify and implement the most efficient control technologies to minimise GHG emissions.
This includes the nation’s largest GHG emitters such as power plants, refineries and cement production facilities.
The second phase (July 2011 to June 2013) will apply to new construction projects with GHG emissions of 100,000 tons per year, or modifications that increase pollutants by 75,000 tons per year.
The ST51 flow meters support BACT (Best Available Control Technology) practices, which require technologies that achieve the maximum degree of emissions control at a particular facility, and is based on a case-by-case decision that takes into account technical feasibility, cost and other energy, environmental and economic impacts.
Key features of FCI’s ST51 GHG flow meters:
- Ideal for the measurement and monitoring of industrial plant greenhouse gases per EPA requirements
- No-moving parts design is non-clogging and operates over a wide flow range with low-flow sensitivity
- Packaged in an explosion-proof transmitter
- Calibration is matched to the user’s actual gas composition and installation conditions
- Thermal mass, insertion-style flow element with flow accuracy to ±1% of reading over a broad flow range from 0.08 to 122 MPS, and repeatability of ±0.5 percent of reading
- Flow element is available for use in line sizes from 51mm to 610mm
- Operates over a wide turndown range of 100:1 and at temperatures from -18ºC to 121ºC
- Withstands pressures up to 34 bar (g)
- Robust thermal mass flow sensing element with no moving parts or orifices ensures maintenance-free service in wet, dirty biogas applications
- Flow element is constructed with a 316L stainless steel body and Hastelloy C-22 thermowell sensors to resist corrosion
- Built-in temperature compensation circuitry for accurate, repeatable measurement year-round as temperatures rise and fall seasonally
- Dual 4-20mA analogue outputs are user assignable to flow rate and/or temperature
- 0-1kHz pulse output for totalised flow
- Transmitter’s digital communications include an RS-232C port
FCI’s ST52 flow meters are suitable for chemical and food processing, petroleum refining, pharmaceutical production, metals and advanced materials, paper plants as well as electric power generation plants among others.
Fluid Components International is represented in Australia by AMS Instrumentation and Calibration .