Leading power and automation technology group, ABB has recently won a $11 million order to supply a complete ore hoisting solution for Xstrata Copper’s Ernest Henry Mining (EHM) copper-gold operation in north-west Queensland, Australia.
According to Axel Kuhr, country manager for ABB Australia , ABB’s unique position as a sole supplier of complete mine hoist systems along with its mining industry expertise played a key role in the company’s selection for the project.
The new fully integrated automated hoisting system will support the transformation of EHM’s existing open pit mine into an underground mining operation, extending the life of the mine by 12 years. The order was booked in the first quarter of 2011. Delivery of the mine ore hoist is scheduled to be completed in the second half of 2012.
ABB has delivered more than 600 new mine hoist systems worldwide with their design representing the industry benchmark for mine hoist safety, energy efficiency and cost effectiveness. Mine hoists are among the most significant pieces of equipment at underground mines, and must operate with high levels of reliability and safety, as any potential failure can lead to catastrophic results.
ABB will design, supply and commission all the electrical and mechanical equipment for a new vertical tower mounted mine ore hoist system.
Key features of ABB’s mine ore hoist system:
- Operate at a speed of 16 metres per second, allowing it to raise 1,020 tons of ore per hour from a depth of 950 metres to the surface
- Driven by a 5,000 kW synchronous motor powered by ABB’s ACS 6000 drive system to control torque and speed for energy efficient ore haulage
- System design also provides additional reactive power during operation to minimise the new hoist’s impact on the surrounding power network
- Supplied with bottom dump ore skips with inspection platforms, rope deflection sheaves and a skip dumping system
- ABB’s System 800xA AC800M industrial controller will manage and control the entire mine hoisting system from the loading conveyors to the surface ore dump station
ABB’s proven maintenance and lifecycle support services were also important to the contract evaluation, as the reliable performance of the hoist is critical to the safety and financial success of the mining operation.