KV3000/KV4000 Kinematic Viscosity Baths are constant temperature bath series with advanced temperature control circuitry and integrated timing features for convenient, accurate glass capillary viscometry determinations.
Microprocessor PID circuitry assures precise, reliable temperature control within ASTM specified tolerances throughout the operating range of the bath. Simple push-button controls and dual digital displays permit easy setting and monitoring of bath temperature.
Two place calibration offset capability is provided. Baths accommodate seven glass capillary viscometers of various types. Viewing the viscometers is made easy by glare-free fluorescent illumination inside the bath and a baffle that provides a background for easy viewing.
Temperature control uniformity is assured by means of motorized stirrer which provides complete circulation without turbulence.
Connection of the built-in cooling coil to tap water or a recirculating water chiller facilitates temperature control at ambient or below ambient temperatures. Communications software (RS232, etc.) ramp-to-set, and other enhanced features are also available.
Integrated timing features — KV3000 incorporates seven digital timers on the front control panel for convenient timing and monitoring of the efflux interval for each viscometer.
On KV4000, the user can enter the viscosity constant for each viscometer on the front LCD control/display, and then get the test result in both efflux time and viscosity units automatically after stopping each timer. All timing functions on both models are displayed in 0.1 second resolution and are accurate within 0.01%.
Bath construction and safety features — Bath chamber is a clear Pyrex vessel enclosed in a polyester-epoxy finished steel housing. Top working surface has seven 2" (51mm) viscometer ports and is constructed of stainless steel for easy cleaning. Front viewing window assures safe, distortion-free viewing.
Microprocessor temperature controller incorporates safety circuitry that interrupts power to the heaters in the event of an overtemperature condition or disconnection of the primary probe. For added safety, a redundant adjustable controller with separate sensor probe interrupts power if an overtemperature situation occurs.
An integrated low-liquid sensor prevents operation of the bath if the bath liquid is not filled to the proper level, and cuts off power should it fall below during operation. Both overtemperature and low liquid level circuits will latch and prevent further operation of the bath until the fault is removed.
Bath rests on adjustable leveling feet. All electronics are mounted on a sliding tray for easy access. Includes thermometer holder and seven plastic port covers with handles.
Conforms to: ASTM D445, D2170, D6074, D6158; IP 71, 319; ISO 3104; DIN 51550; FTM 791-305; NF T 60-100
Temperature range: ambient to 150°C (302°F); –20°C to 150°C (–4°F to 302°F) with an external chiller
Temperature display: 0.1°C/0.1°F resolution, calibrate to 0.01°C/0.01°F
Temperature Control Accuracy and Uniformity: Exceeds ASTM requirements throughout the operating range
- KV3000 — Seven individual start/stop timers with displays to 0.1 seconds, accurate to within 0.01%
- KV4000 — Seven start/stop buttons with integrated LCD display, retention of viscometer constant, automatic calculation and display in viscosity units or seconds to 0.1 seconds accurate to within 0.01%.
Communication: RS232 port included with KV4000 (optional for KV3000)
Viscometer Ports: Seven round 2" (51mm) ports
Bath Medium: Water or suitable heat transfer fluid
- Port Covers, Delrin (7)
- Thermometer holder
Kinematic viscosity is of primary importance in the design and selection of a wide range of petroleum products. Calibrated capillary viscometers are used to measure flow under gravity or vacuum at precisely controlled temperatures.
Features and benefits
- Complete instrument and data acquisition system exclusively designed for conducting D445, D2170 and related test methods
- Powerful software system for PC platforms operating in Windows 98 SE, 2000, NT, ME, and XP environments
- Microprocessor temperature control between ambient and 150°C (302°F), and down to –20°C (–4°F) with an external chiller
- Integrated digital timing for convenient measurement of sample efflux times
- KV4000 model permits entry of viscometer constants for automatic calculation and display in viscosity units or seconds
- Dual digital displays show setpoint and actual bath temperature
- Selectable temperature scale - Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Integrated redundant over-temperature and low liquid level cut-off circuitry
- Conforms to ASTM D445, D2170 and related specifications for kinematic viscosity testing.
KV3000/KV4000 Kinematic Viscosity Baths are available from A.L.P.E.