The Weighing Division of A&D Australasia recently customised a portable weigh hopper for a local boutique coffee blender and roaster Veneziano Coffee to reduce OH&S risks and significantly improve their blending process.
Veneziano’s requirements for a weighing hopper included:
- Taking the blending hopper to the 50kg sacks of imported raw beans
- Accurately adding small and large amounts (within 50g accuracy) to create up to 400kg blends
- Fully portable hopper with battery or mains power options
A&D Weighing design team built, tested and delivered the portable weigh hopper in addition to providing the training within the budget and time-frame.
The portable weigh hopper is simply wheeled to each pallet of raw beans for weighing until the batch is completed. The hopper weigh scale is then wheeled into position under the vacuum pipe that extracts the beans up into the roaster.
Key benefits for Veneziano Coffee from the portable weigh hopper:
- Lower OH&S risk by eliminating the need to carry heavy sacks
- Faster, more efficient weighing process, releasing extra labour for other tasks
- Improved batch QA and QC with the ability to record gross batch weights and individual ingredient weights
- Locally designed and manufactured solution, easily supported by the local scale service provider
The portable weigh hopper is designed as a future-proof system with the integration of a weighing controller that would easily allow the client to add wireless scale weight communication directly to their production PC if ever required.
In addition to portable weigh hoppers, most scales, balances and weight indicators from A&D can be similarly expanded.