Home > Third of organisations start 2014 without a business plan, survey shows

Third of organisations start 2014 without a business plan, survey shows

Editorial

Results of a workplace survey conducted by Leadership Management Australasia reveal that a third of Australian companies may not have a business plan for 2014.

The workplace survey was undertaken during the resumption of full-scale work and was conducted by Leadership Management Australasia (LMA) as part of its ongoing 14-year monitor of workplace trends, the Leadership Employment and Direction (L.E.A.D.) Survey. The 10-question survey attracted 400 respondents in just a few days.

The survey found that 83 per cent of leaders and managers claim to have a business plan for 2014, but only 66 per cent of employees believe their organisation has a plan.

CEO of LMA, Andrew Henderson said it was disturbing to discover that while almost all leaders, managers and employees recognised the necessity of a plan to secure the future of their organisations, one third of employees believed their organisations had started the new work year without one.

Equating their failing to plan with planning to fail in these uncertain economic times, he commented that the plan started with leaders clearly identifying the vision and plan, clearly communicating the goals, direction and vision and then having the confidence in themselves, as well as gaining the confidence of their people to execute the plan.

Planning contributes to growth and success, he said, which is borne out in the survey’s correlation between organisational growth status and the presence of a plan.

Across leaders, managers and employees, amongst those who believe their organisation is currently ‘Growing’, 86% have a business plan for 2014 while amongst those organisations believed to be ‘Holding steady’ 82% have a plan.

In contrast, organisations thought to be ‘Shrinking’ or ‘Just surviving’, 76% and 67% respectively have a business plan for 2014.

Survey results from leaders and managers:

83% claim to have a business plan for 2014 compared to just 66% of non-managerial/supervisory employees (17% point gap); 70% believe they have communicated the plan very well (18%) or quite well (52%) to their people; 70% believe people understand their role in helping the organisation fulfil the plan very well (15%) or quite well (55%); 89% are very confident (29%) or quite confident (60%) that the plan supports the achievement of the organisation's overall objectives and priorities; and of those who don't know or don't believe there is a plan, 89% believe it is very important (63%) or quite important (26%) that the organisation has a plan.

Survey results from non-managerial employees:

79% believe the plan has been communicated to them well; 87% know their role in helping the business fulfil the plan well; 79% are confident the plan supports the achievement of overall objectives and priorities; and of those who don't know or don't believe there is a plan, 100% feel it is important to have a plan.


Newsletter sign-up

The latest products and news delivered to your inbox