Home > Incorrect storage of personal protection equipment a health risk

Incorrect storage of personal protection equipment a health risk


Leading Australian pest management company Flick Anticimex has warned that improper handling and storage of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) can result in an insect sting or bite and potentially lead to injury. 

A recent incident in the construction industry has highlighted the importance of correct storage of PPE, after a construction worker was hospitalised due to an infected insect sting. 

While on a break, the construction worker had left his PPE including his gloves on the ground at a public shopping centre in Western Australia. When putting his gloves back, he felt a sting or bite on the knuckle of his right hand index finger. The injury became infected two days later requiring hospitalisation and surgery, and is thought to have been caused by a white tail spider or black house spider. 

Ms Cathy Coco, National HSEQ Manager at Flick Anticimex explains that anyone who wears Personal Protective Equipment, particularly those working in the construction and mining industries should ensure their equipment is stored in a protected location and above ground level when not in use. PPE should be stored off the floor, in a protected location such as a shed or office, and should also be checked before putting it on. 

Regular pest inspections can reduce the risk of injuries caused by insects, especially within high-risk work environments such as the mining industry. Flick Anticimex recommends an annual pest inspection. 

According to Mr Gary Stephenson, National Pest Technical Manager at Flick Anticimex, spider control, like all pest control, needs to be a regular, consistent process in order to prevent a minor local infestation from developing into a widespread, established pest invasion.

Newsletter sign-up

The latest products and news delivered to your inbox