Home > Christopher Pyne meets Holden workers, AMWU

Christopher Pyne meets Holden workers, AMWU

article image

Coalition frontbencher and Sturt MP Chris Pyne has met with Holden workers and the AMWU’s John Camillo regarding the car maker’s future.

Adelaide Now reports that Pyne met workers at Holden’s Elizabeth factory, which is to shed 400 jobs on July 26, and did not rule out
assistance under a Coalition government, provided the car company had a plan to boost its exports.

"I have a long-standing commitment to keep Holden operating in South Australia," Pyne told Adelaide Now.

The Coalition has said that if elected it would cut $500 million in subsidies to the automotive industry.

Holden has said that it could leave Australia as early as the end of the year if any taxpayer help is cut.

Earlier this week, SA Premier Jay Weatherill suggested that his government might consider boosting its funding to Holden.

"Morale is very low and everyone is worried about the future," said “Alex”, a worker at the Elizabeth plant.

"If Holden closes it would not only be devastating for the northern suburbs but the whole of South Australia's economy and we would be flooding the already unstable job market with thousands more jobseekers.

"We don't want to be treated specially, but the government and the car industry need to be working together.”

Newsletter sign-up

The latest products and news delivered to your inbox