SCA Kawerau has upgraded its Bay of Plenty tissue facility, investing $NZ 60 million to upgrade the half-century-plus-year-old facility.
Sixty per cent of the facility’s output is Tork products, with the rest including Purex and Handee products.
The upgrades include, “a new 14,500 square-metre tissue conversion hall, a 50 metre long state-of-the-art ‘wide-winding’ machine and robotised packing and dispatch,” according to a statement from Tork.
“These investments increase production of tissue products at the site by the equivalent of 22 forty foot containers each week.”
The facility was opened in 1959 and this round of upgrades follows a 2009 conversion of the site’s electric turbines to geothermal power, according to the statement.
The new facility was officially opened by NZ prime minister John Key on January 30, the NZ Herald reports.
Image: NZ Herald